List:       xmlrpc-user
Subject:    timeout
From:       Doug Davies <csddavies () cs ! com>
Date:       2005-10-20 23:30:19

I just joined the list today, but have been a long time user of xmlrpc.
Excuse me if this question has been asked before.

I saw that there is a patch to apache xmlrpc to support client-side
timeouts using the commons-httpclient implementation.  This is good,
since I recently found out I need support for timeouts.  The part that
scares me is it says the CommonsXmlRpcTransport class is not
thread-safe, and I really don't want to synchronize around my xmlrpc
requests.  Can someone provide more information as to why it is not
thread-safe?  I would be using this class from a Tomcat servlet that
could be making multiple simultaneous xmlrpc requests.

Thanks,

Doug Davies
America Online, Inc.
Sr. Software Engineer