List:       xmlrpc-user
Subject:    Re: Sending XML to clients
From:       John Wilson <tug () wilson ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-02-19 8:50:39

On 18 Feb 2004, at 22:30, Mauricio Cuenca wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to the list and have played this week with several Java Server
> examples of XML-RPC, but none of the server-classes I saw returned a
> string or an object containing XML code to the client.
>
> My question is: are there any methods that encapsulates or transforms
> the data that the server send to the client into XML or does the
> programmer have to put a lot of out.println("<param>this</param>");
> into the code ???

If you send a string and the string contains XML then <, & and >
characters will be automatically escaped so that the XML-RPC message is
still valid. At the other end the XML parser will replace the escapes
with the <, & and > characters.

What this means is that the string you send will be the string which is
received. If the string contains XML then it will arrive safely at the
other end without any special action on your behalf.

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk