List:       xmlrpc-user
Subject:    Re: xml-rpc & encoding
From:       Daniel Rall <dlr () finemaltcoding ! com>
Date:       2002-09-27 21:24:48

"John Wilson" <tug@wilson.co.uk> writes:

> [...]

I can definitely apply any of your patches, but let's get your commit
squared away as well.

dlr@icarus:dlr$ grep 'John Wilson' /etc/passwd
jwilson:*:1467:1467:John Wilson:/home/jwilson:/usr/local/bin/tcsh
dlr@icarus:dlr$ grep jwilson /home/cvs/CVSROOT/avail
avail|twl,hannes,jvanzyl,lucas,leonardr,thorhauer,dlr,dirkx,jon,jwilson,mpoeschl|xml-site,xml-rpc

The above confirms that you are setup for commit access.  Your
authentication info must be incorrect.  What CVS repository are you
connecting to?

dlr@despot:xml-rpc$ echo $CVS_RSH
ssh
dlr@despot:xml-rpc$ cat CVS/Root
dlr@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs

The above settings use SSH for CVS authentication, either doing key
auth (which is what I have setup so that I don't have to type a
password), or prompting for a password and authenticating against
cvs.apache.org's /etc/passwd file.

> There is a case to be made for us not to use 8859/1 encoding but to use
> USASCII and use the &nnnnn; encoding for all Unicode characters > 127,
> however that's a slightly more radical suggestion.

You have a firm grasp on these issues.  I'm up for whatever you think
is the right approach.
--

Daniel Rall <dlr@finemaltcoding.com>