List:       xmlbeans-user
Subject:    Re: Getting at a schema component's id attribute
From:       Peter Keller <pkeller () globalphasing ! com>
Date:       2010-03-30 17:35:55

> myTypeInstance.selectPath(XPathExpressionString) will do that.

No it will not. Instances of schema components in XMLBeans are instances of
classes that implement the interface org.apache.xmlbeans.SchemaType: the
giveaway here is that SchemaType has a super-interface called
SchemaComponent. Neither of these interfaces specify a selectPath method.

selectPath is a method of XmlObject, and only provides access to instance
data, not metadata from the XSD that was used to generate the XMLBeans API.

The current XPath schema is available at http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath/ . It
has not changed since November 1999. It makes no reference to XML schemas at
all: at that time the XML schema specification was only in its third working
draft, and was not yet a standard.

In principle, I could build an XMLBeans interface from the Schema for
Schemas at http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd, and use that in combination
with the original XSD files (assuming that they are available in all cases).
If you re-read my original question, you will see that I was (in effect)
asking if the metadata that I am after are preserved in the API, so that I
could avoid doing that.