List:       xmlbeans-dev
Subject:    Re: saxon 8.8 support
From:       "Dan Kearns" <dan () thekearns ! org>
Date:       2006-11-13 18:17:30

On 11/7/06, Radu Preotiuc-Pietro <radup@bea.com> wrote:

> Yes, the problem is, however, that that change (while eliminating the
> need for DOMSource wrappers which is a good thing) makes Saxon versions
> < 8.7 not work anymore. My preference would be to upgrade to the latest
> and greatest but at the same time I am a little frustrated about the
> lack of backwards-compatibility on Saxon's part.

Yeah, minor version numbers seem to have a non-traditional interpretation in
saxon land.

I suspect the most version-compatible mechanism would be to bake the saxon
NodeInfo interface into xbeans, though that might be too intrusive and would
definitely be a chunk of work. (and of course, that appears to have also
changed in minor version releases from time to time).

A simpler option, ugly as it is, would be to switch the change below based
on net.sf.saxon.Version.getProductVersion() call. Then you could use
latest/greatest without DOMSource wrappers, or the back-version with them.

-d