List:       xmlbeans-dev
Subject:    Re: Another piece of virus-spam that made it around the moderator
From:       Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkrantz () apache ! org>
Date:       2004-08-28 1:12:32

--On Friday, August 27, 2004 4:52 PM -0700 Cliff Schmidt <cliff@bea.com>
wrote:

> Any ideas on how this spam is getting through?  Note that this spam
> contains links to a virus -- not just annoying spam, but dangerous
> for the unsuspecting user.

It's an inherent flaw in SMTP: ezmlm only knows how to authenticate through
the envelope headers.  If the mail looks like it comes from a subscriber
(or on the allow list), then it lets it through: regardless of list
moderation.

I will also note that we do virus checking on our servers, but we obviously
can't scan for external links that point to a virus.

Looking at the email that was sent, the envelope is listed as
beehive-commits@incubator.apache.org.  That is a pretty obvious target for
spammers: having the from address equal the to address.

As Roy pointed out, we're starting to deploy countermeasures to address
this particular case.  However, if someone forges a spam from
cliff@bea.com, ezmlm is going to allow that through.  Only things like SPF
(<http://spf.pobox.com/>) will solve that problem.  -- justin