List:       xmlbeans-dev
Subject:    Re: Post-Incubation Destination for XMLBeans
From:       Ted Leung <twleung () sauria ! com>
Date:       2004-05-14 7:08:11

I think that the appropriate thing to do here is to become a TLP.  The
general
trend is towards TLPness, and given the current structuring of the ASF
501(c)3,
I think that this trend is going to continue.

I also think that the correct thing to do is to join the federation --
this seems
like a no-brainer to me.

Ted

On May 13, 2004, at 9:31 PM, Cliff Schmidt wrote:

> There's been some discussion in the "XMLBeans out of incubator"
> thread about whether XMLBeans should become a subproject within
> the XML project when it completes (according to the original
> proposal) or whether it should become a TLP.  Also, if it
> becomes a TLP, should it be part of the recently proposed XML
> federation.
>
> In order to help people come to an informed opinion, I'll try
> to provide a little background below.  I've copied the PPMC
> hoping that some of the XML PMC members, who make up our PPMC,
> might voice their opinions, in addition to the more active
> members of the XMLBeans community.  And of course, anyone
> thinking I've got something wrong here should jump in and
> correct me.
>
> - THE PMC OVERSIGHT SITUATION -
> Around the time of last ApacheCon (as far as I remember),
> a concern started being discussed about the ability for PMCs
> to be able to continue to actively manage the creation and
> maintenance of a growing number of products within their
> project, as required by the ASF bylaws.  While committers
> commit to a code base and vote on things like new committers
> and various technical issues, it's the PMC that is responsible
> to the Board for ensuring the project is fulfilling its
> purpose in contributing to the goals of the ASF (this also
> includes protecting the ASF through legal oversight).
>
> - XML PROJECT RESPONSE -
> The XML project has chosen to address this concern by turning
> several of the larger subprojects into TLPs with their own
> PMCs, which should be able to properly manage and oversee
> the included products.  Xerces, Xalan, and XML Security are
> all examples of communities that have decided that it made
> more sense to become independent TLPs, rather than stay
> subprojects under the XML PMC.
>
> What changes with separate PMCs is that each project reports
> directly to the Board and maintains its own self-governing
> rules with its own charter.  However, the XML projects felt
> that, even as separate TLPs, they should maintain what they
> had in common; this led to the idea of an "XML Federation".
>
> - THE FEDERATION -
> The XML Federation is simply the set of XML-related TLPs that
> continue to share a discussion list (general at xml.apache.
> org) and some of the same infrastructure shared today, such
> as the xml.apache.org web site and mailing list domain.  One
> idea behind the federation is it could minimize barriers to
> cooperation that might otherwise come up between TLPs.
> Another rationale would be for the federation to tie together
> the various XML projects from a user's point of view (imagine
> a new user looking for all the XML-related projects around
> Apache).
>
> - WHAT XMLBEANS MUST DECIDE -
> 1. Become a subproject of XML, as originally planned, or
> become a TLP?
> 2. If becoming an independent TLP, join the federation or
> [...]
----
Ted Leung                          Blog: <http://www.sauria.com/blog>
PGP Fingerprint: 1003 7870 251F FA71 A59A  CEE3 BEBA 2B87 F5FC 4B42