List:       xmlbeans-dev
Subject:    RE: XmlBeans and SDO?
From:       "David Remy" <dremy () bea ! com>
Date:       2004-04-29 15:31:06

Aleksander Slominski wrote:
> XmlBeans Developers/Users,
>
> so what is your take on role of XmlBeans in relation to SDO (XmlBeans
> seems to be missing from list of tools mentioned even though it the
> most complete XML Schema support for Java data binding AFAIK)

It is absolutely conceivable that SDO could be implemented on top of XMLBeans
as a matter of fact the functionality that Cezar recently checked in that
allows pre- and post- processing (http://wiki.apache.org/xmlbeans/PrePostSetFeature)
and the ability to add functionality to
the generated classes by asserting an interface and a static handler \
(http://wiki.apache.org/xmlbeans/ExtensionInterfacesFeature) would probably set up \
XMLBeans well for that.

> in particular how simplified model of SDO (where Data Objects are put
> in a sequence) will work with all complexities of XML Schema content
> models (in particular dependency of SDO on Sequence/List to access DO
> content):
>
> (...)
> Tool support. SDO enables a wide range of tool support. Java
> interface generation tools
> are necessary to provide static data APIs that integrate with SDO.
> For example, a tool
> could be provided that generates static data APIs from XML Schema and
> is integrated
> with the SDO APIs. Likewise, a tool could be provided that generates
> static data APIs
> from relational schemas and is integrated with the SDO APIs. Yet
> another tool could be
> used to generate interfaces from UML [21] models. In fact, many of
> these tools exist
> today, and simply need to be extended to support SDO. Follow-on
> specifications may
> define how Java interfaces are generated from various data sources if
> there is not an
> appropriate specification already.
> (...)
> we see how much simple is this "simple extensions" ,,,
>
> anyway SDO look like it is RF so may be implementable in Apache and
> in particular by XmlBeans?

We don't have any specific V2 plans for SDO here yet but I agree, we
should consider it.

> so the question seems to be if XmlBeans v2 will have some kind of
> pluggable provider APO or everything (XmlObject, XmlCursor, DOM, SDO?
> ...) needs to be cooked together ...

So I *think* everything necessary to accomplish SDO on XMLBeans would be
there with the two features Cezar added above.  It is just a significant
amount of work to accomplish.  Is there anything glaringly missing that
you can think of that would be needed?

btw, it is great to have your involvement Alek.