List:       xmlbeans-dev
Subject:    RE: value getter/setter suggestion
From:       Michael Allman <msa () nfcexperts ! com>
Date:       2004-02-28 16:12:19

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, David Remy wrote:

> > (1) Having 3 equivalent ways seems like it might look a
> > little crowded and confusing.
>
> that would be my concern, going thru the deprecation cycle to get these
> names may not be work it.

Agreed.

> > (2) If we remove the old names, are we going to have
> > compatibility concerns?
>
> since we are steering folks towards v1 and people are implementing
> production applications now with the current api this seems like an
> important concern.

What about the people (like myself) who are implementing production
systems based on the BEA 1.0 release?

It may be that people are building systems using the Apache CVS source.
But without an official release, or even an unofficial incubated release,
I bet the number of people implementing on BEA's 1.0 far outweigh those
implementing on the new Apache API.  And the BEA 1.0 people are in for a
change anyway, so...

> i don't really understand the underlying issue that well so perhaps the
> benefits outweight these issues.  it would be good to hear others
> opinion before i vote on the idea.  it is good to get ideas and
> discussion like this ...

The underlying issue is that the Apache XMLBeans API changed the BEA API
to make it look more JavaBean-like, but the application of the JavaBean
pattern in this case is just not accurate (IMHO).  For THAT argument,
check the mailing list archives for the "deprecated methods" thread
starting with my message of 13 Jan.

Cheers.