List:       xmlbeans-dev
Subject:    Re: XMLBeans status report, Jan 2004
From:       Ted Leung <twleung () sauria ! com>
Date:       2004-01-18 19:56:18

This looks accurate to me.

I did update the status file in the incubator cvs @
cvs:incubator/site/projects/xmlbeans.cwiki, but I'm not sure how to get
the site to rebuild.

As mentioned below, the big challenge is to grow the community.

Ted

On Jan 17, 2004, at 2:48 PM, David Remy wrote:

> - Status report for the Incubator -
> (sorry for the delay, also thanks to xmlbeans-dev list for their quick
> response - well, delayed quick response ...)
>
> Overall the xmlbeans project is progressing with good committer
> productivity and a growing user community.  Converting over the Apache
> CVS systems and build process has been accomplished along with various
> other Apache administrative tasks such as setting up the Apache
> website.
>
> There is some movement towards growth in the development side of the
> community with one contributor (Dutta Satadip) submitting a nice
> enhancement and several other contributors submitting small patches
> related to bugs.
>
> More on each of the bullet points below.
>
> * is the STATUS file up to date? (also post link)
>
> <Cliff Schmidt>
> We need to update the status file with the latest incubator guidelines.
> We're mostly there, but there are a couple things that need to be
> added.
> I also think the status file needs to be updated in one or two other
> ways.
> For instance, the tasks completed should now include:
> - build xmlbeans website
> - grant some committers access to xml-site (Cliff and Remy)
> </Cliff Schmidt>
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/xmlbeans.html
>
> * any legal, cross-project or personal issues
>   that still need to be addressed?
>
> In general it appears xmlbeans is through most of the known issues
> that existed getting started.  The committers have been able to be
> productive and there is a lot of code being created in version 2 and
> fixes are being made into version 1.
>
> One issue that we have run into is how best to accommodate commonly
> used api jars primarily (but not exclusively) JCP related api's from
> SUN.  We are not sure the appropriate process to determine whether we
> can use a particular jar and host the jar in the xmlbeans build.
> examples of api's that we are unsure the appropriate/best way to deal
> with are:
>
>   * JSR173 api and JSR 173 RI (Streaming API for XML, a.k.a., STAX) -
> the JSR173 RI dependency is temporary.  Currently xmlbeans downloads
> it from external server during the build process
>   * SAAJ api - we used the saaj-api source code in axis.
>   * xml commons resolver (Apache jakarta)
>   * jaxen  (jaxen.sourceforge.net - apache-style license, but not
> apache)

The deterimining factor is the licensing.  If the license is ASF
compatible then there shouldn't be a problem hosting it.  How to manage
the version dependencies is up to us.