List:       xmlbeans-dev
Subject:    RE: XMLBeans and JDK 1.3
From:       "David Bau" <david.bau () bea ! com>
Date:       2003-12-20 2:13:22

Downgrading to 1.3 - it's hard to know what strategy to take because
without having done it we don't know what performance impact, or
functionality gaps it might impose on a 1.4 user.

If Anatoly or others are thinking of biting this off, I guess I'd suggest
the following approach:

(1) Do the downgrade on the stable XMLBeans v1 codeline
rather than v2.  It's easier to work with since it's stable, and also since
v2 is "future", the farther we go in the future, the less interesting
older JDKs becomes - so for two reasons v1 is the sweet spot.

(2) Before we understand how it needs to be packaged, We should
understand if there are any functionality or performance gaps in a
1.3 "downgrade" compared to the 1.4.  If we get a 1.3 downgrade
working but it's, say 10% slower than the native 1.4 version, then
we should package it up as the "JDK 1.3 edition of XMLBeans 1".
But if there are no disadvantages after some testing, then it might
be reasonable to bless it as "XMLBeans 1.1".

That's all assuming there is enough motivation to work away at
Anotoly's (very good and complete-looking, by the way) list.

David