List:       xmlbeans-dev
Subject:    RE: XMLbeans with JAXB
From:       "David Bau" <david.bau () bea ! com>
Date:       2003-12-19 2:48:19

Eric asks:

> I believe that we are looking at JAXB in v2.  I've forwarded this to the
dev alias, perhaps David could say something about the status of this work.

We haven't decided whether or not we are going to implement JAXB 1.0 in
XMLBeans v2.  You can see in the code that there is a bit of a beginning of
go at it, but we quickly discovered that there are some significant problems
with JAXB 1.0 that lead us to stop the work for now.  For example it is
impossible to implement XML schema type substitution while conforming the
JAXB binding spec.

A central premise of XMLBeans is to faithfully implement 100% of the W3C XML
Schema specification, and we have done that (including type substitution,
element substitution, full validation, etc, etc).  Implementing XML specs
correctly is very key for proper interoperability.  Correct XML is our
lifeblood and the basic reason for the usefulness of the library.  I don't
want us to implement JAXB 1.0 if it requires us to (as it appears to) back
off of correct implementation of XML Schema.  Lack of type substitution in
XML would be akin to having a JVM for Java that did not correctly support
polymorphism: it is very central to the spec, and it would make the library
untrustworthy.

One of the stated goals of JAXB 2.0 is to address these problems in the JAXB
spec and make it possible to implement all of schema; if JAXB 2.0 actually
makes this possible, we shouldn't have any trouble implementing JAXB.

David