List:       xmlbeans-dev
Subject:    Re: reducing dependency size
From:       Christopher Eliot <eliot () cs ! umass ! edu>
Date:       2003-08-26 22:22:29

I am experimenting with something like this because I am working on an
applet that needs to be small enough to load over dialup lines.

Over the past two years I have implemented a tiny (8K) non-validating
XML parser. Earlier this summer I added a mechanism that uses Java
beans and reflection to build normal Java objects out of the parsed
XML. This all fits in a 20K jar file and nicely supports an automatic
homework system I am building.

I've been using JAXB to do offline validation of my XML, to keep it
honest, but I would rather do the validation directly and also have
defaulting provided by schemas. So, I spent most of the day today
hacking together a prototype algorithm that walks the schema and XML
tree in tandem. I've already been able to validate the XML I need to
use, and I used the schema at http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd to
validate the schema. All of the code for this fits in a 28K jar file.

I am not sure if anyone else would be interested in this, since it
won't implement the full schema standard. But, I think there are
situations where a small footprint is more important than full
features. If anyone else is interested in this, let me know.

-Chris

On Tuesday, August 26, 2003, at 06:20  AM, James Strachan wrote:

> The 3.4Mb xmlbeans jar is quite large. Has anyone ever tried making a
> slim, runtime dependency jar folks can use for embedding into other
> systems? e.g. the compiler and related tools can be excluded; as can a
> bunch of internal schemas & wsdl stuff.
>
> James
> -------
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/