List:       xml-dev
Subject:    RE: [xml-dev] What constitutes a "markup language"? What is an "information exchange language"? When
From:       Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe () allette ! com ! au>
Date:       2015-05-11 9:39:02

On 04/05/2015 11:17 PM, "Steve Cuzner" <Steve.Cuzner@mathworks.com> wrote:
>>… XML is so subsetted from SGML that it is only functional as a markup
language with effort.

>>XML is a markup language by DNA but it is not really a syntax good for
marking up documents with, meaning the activity of marking up not the
result: contrast with HTML which retains tag and delimiter omission a la
SGML. Which is why, for marking up (as an activity), the world uses HTML or
wiki. I dont think choice is a bad thing: html, wiki, csv, json  when the
scenerio clearly suits them and xml otherwise.

> This implies that the defining purpose of markup is the activity of
marking up.

Yes, to a large extent. If your notation is not aimed at humans, a notation
that is at least good for machines may be attractive.

Rick