List:       xml-dev
Subject:    RE: [xml-dev] Four fine text-based data formats ... liberate yourself from one (silo) data format
From:       David Lee <dlee () calldei ! com>
Date:       2013-03-24 23:07:04

This thread is really getting really unintelligible to me but hey that's why I \
subscribe.  Its good to have my brain hurt. I will avoid commentary on the most  but \
I have 2 I can't help but reply.

1) (Verbosity is the other common explanation.)
<shameless plug>
If you truly buy into this, or don't ! ... I would love you to put your 2 minutes \
where your mouth is and help establish some scientific evidence.
Please visit
   http://speedtest.xmlsh.org

I will be having a public crow-eating party with the results.  Not sure who will be \
eating the crow so stay tuned.  It could be me.  Please help humiliate me in public.  \
Whatever it takes to get volunteers !

2) "Plain text"
WTF? Ignoring things like encoding, codepage, 7 or a bit, language , etc ...
Why stop there ? Why not Binary (streams of bytes... shit are those 5,6,7 or 8 bit \
byte ... 12 ? 16? ) ...  But why stop there ... how about streams of Bits ...  We all \
know what BITS mean right ? Yes or no.  1 or zero, true or false. who could get \
confused with  bits ...  But why stop there how about streams of abstract symbols .. \
or why even help the user out with a sequence dimension, how about I send you a slab \
of rock with some scratchings on it.   I will be very careful to NOT send any out of \
band information like what direction the scratches should be interpreted or if the \
density of the rock or width of scratches encodes meaningful data.  Hell ... I wont \
even tell you if the whole thing was just dug out of my backward or is an order for \
new iPad with my credit card number on it.   Or maybe its porn.

Have fun.