List:       xml-dev
Subject:    Re: [xml-dev] Should the XML "recommendation" have an expiration date?
From:       Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe () allette ! com ! au>
Date:       2013-03-05 14:07:52

>> Is it ISO or maybe ANSI that charges for standards documents ? I forget
>> which.

> Both.

Not all.  Schematron and RELAX NG and DSDL are free as PDFs. Linux standard
base, ODF, OOXML, MPEG 4 as PDFs, are costless too.  Often, if the standard
is a conversion of an existing spec from elsewhere that is available free,
such as from OASIS or ECMA, you would expect it to be free at ISO too.

See
 http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html

Some committees don't bother to request the free distribution option: I
don't know why PDF/X and PDF/A are not on the list for example. Few of the
ISO standards are small enough to be implemented by enthusiastic, poor,
casual amateurs, and charging prices re-enforces that.  However, the days
when only rich corporate, (com, gov, mil, ac) types could implement
computer programs, are long gone.

For people's interest: recent withdrawn standards include an explanatory
part of ISO PDF/X and a registration procedure relating to security.

Cheers
Rick