List:       xml-dev
Subject:    [xml-dev] XML/XSL Revision Control/ Source Code Versioning: Ideas, Methods, Tools for Specific scena
From:       "AS" <as.signup () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2012-12-08 10:34:05

XML/XSL Revision Control/ Source Code Versioning: Ideas, Methods, Tools for Specific \
scenario as a Content Writer?

For many years, I've been using XML/ XSL/ XSD based mechanisms to separate:

Input:
- XML - Content/ Data
- XSL - Styling & Data Transformations/ Translations
- XSD - Schemas / Data Models

Output:
- XML (Different Schema)
- XSL:FO (for PDF), Word ML (for DOC/DOCX), XHTML - Viewable Documents (XML + \
Styling)

BACKGROUND:

- I've done some extensive hands-on XML/ XSD modeling & Enterprise XSLT framework \
                development in the past.
- I do not write much code anymore due to larger responsibilities as an Architect. \
But, I like to play with the tech & models so that I can better lead the development \
                teams.
- So I mostly do it for some Personal & Proof of Concept ideas & projects to test \
thoughts & possibilities on some Directories/ Folders on my laptop Hard Drive.

DETAILS:

Now over time, over various projects they all go through varying degrees of change
- XML Content - Huge Degree
- XSL - Medium Degree
- XSD - Lesser Degree

I'd like to do Source Code Versioning/ Revision Control for them and wondering what \
                you guys do for the same?
- The XML Content Data changes the most and I'd like to store versions of the Content \
                over time & changes
- The XSL will change less and XSD even lesser over time
- Be able to Compare/ Diff the content through various versions and branches
- Be able to Merge some/ more/ or all of the "differences" between various versions & \
branches

FREQUENTLY USED SCENARIOS -
e.g. XML based Project Descriptions/ Outlines & White Paper Writeups
- XML content write up changes made on daily & more frequent basis
- XML Content write up for White Papers - Rearticulated and organized regularly

At the moment I can think of manually copying and renaming each version of the XML \
everytime, but its kind of cumbersome.

I've used various versions of these XML tools over the years and have access to \
                relatively recent versions.
- Altova XML Spy & Mission Kit, Diff Dog
- Sonic Stylus Studio
- OxygenXML
- EditPlus

I've also used some Source Code/ Revision Control in the past but its too far ago.

Recently, I just downloaded and am playing with Git to learn more about it and \
wondering if it will work well for this.

QUESTIONS:
- What do you use and how?
- What do you suggest using in my SPECIFIC SCENARIOs? and how?

Thanks in advance.

- AS
..