List:       xml-commons-dev
Subject:    Re: Suggested patches for resolver: Windows driver-letter paths and resolveSystem() and <uri>
From:       David Crossley <crossley () apache ! org>
Date:       2008-04-21 1:10:23

Earl Hood wrote:
> While working with xml-commons-resolver, I discovered that the code
> does not handle pathnames that utilize window's driver letters.  The code
> appears to lose the "absoluteness" of the path, causing resolution of
> other entities/files to fail that have it for a base.

Earl, i don't know if this is related, but at Apache Forrest we
have troubles in a certain situation. The newest Resolver works
fine on Windows when we use it with Xerces via Apache Cocoon,
but fails when we use it via Apache Ant.

Last time i looked, none of our Windows developers have yet
found time to take it up with the Ant project.

Here is my reply to Norman Walsh on this commons-dev list:
http://markmail.org/message/4vozuvf2gwwuk33k
Re: File URLs will be the death of me
Date: 03 Jul 2006
which also links to an issue report.

When i investigated that issue i found that Ant had some
strange code for Windows path handling in the "xmlcatalog" task.
It seemed to be a workaround for problems with Resolver.
After Norm fixed it here at Apache XML Commons, perhaps the
workaround in Ant now fails.

Dunno.

-David