List:       xml-cocoon-users
Subject:    Re: Upgrading Cocoon from 2.1.7 to 2.1.9
From:       Jason Johnston <cocoon () lojjic ! net>
Date:       2006-04-09 14:25:11

Andreas Hochsteger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there something we need to take care of, when upgrading Cocoon from
> 2.1.7 to 2.1.9?
>
> These are the most important things we are currently using:
> * FlowScript
> * JXTemplates
> * Cocoon Forms
> * Portal Engine
> * WebDAV Access (TraversableSourceDescriptionGenerator, PropfindGenerator)
> * JNDITransformer
> * i18n Transformer

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that is not
backward-compatible in these components, so the best way is probably to
just give it a try and see if anything breaks.

Definitely browse the detailed changelog at
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/changes.html to see what changes were made
to the components you are using.

One thing in particular you should take a look at using is the new
template block.  It provides a rewritten version of JXTemplate that has
some performance improvements and new features, and should be
backward-compatible so your existing templates will still work.

Another change might be that I think in 2.1.7 you had to keep copies of
the forms-*-styling.xsl stylesheets and CForms-related CSS and JS files
within your webapp directory structure to have access to them.  Now
those resources are packaged within the cocoon forms .jar file, and can
be referenced via the resource:// pseudo-protocol.  See the cforms
samples for how to reference them.

And of course there are plenty of new features like CForms AJAX support
that you can integrate if you choose.  But I think for the most part
things are backward-compatible.  Hopefully others will pipe in if
they've experienced otherwise.

--Jason