List:       xml-cocoon-users
Subject:    Re: [newbie] Questions about esql, xsl
From:       Christian Haul <haul () dvs1 ! informatik ! tu-darmstadt ! de>
Date:       2003-08-09 20:06:22

On 09.Aug.2003 -- 05:00 PM, Rolf Heckemann wrote:
> To acquaint myself with the sitemap and the ESQL logicsheet, I wrote a
> small application that takes a database named IXIDB, lists the tables
> and shows the table contents.  The goal was not to have to adapt the
> application if database tables were to change.  One of the problems I
> found difficult to deal with was extracting the table descriptions so
> I could turn the fields into headers (<th>) in the output.  I solved
> this with a dynamically generated XSL sheet.  Now I'm wondering:
>
> Is this 'The Way' or are there more elegant/ more flexible/ easier/
> approaches to solve this problem?  Would nested queries help?  I
> tried, but found them difficult to debug.

A dynamic XSLT seems unneeded. A static XSLT like the stupid.xsl from
the samples should do (it's not brilliant, thus "stupid"....) Another
option is to use the ResultSetMetaData (see esql.xsl) and use JAVA in
your XSP to create the table heading.

> Is this likely to work with future versions of Cocoon (I did it in
> 2.0.4)?  Or is ESQL going to be superceded by the SQL Transformer?

Historically, ESQL was supposed to replace the transformer IIRC but I
believe both have their merrits and will stay in Cocoon.

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de