List:       xml-cocoon-users
Subject:    Basic Usage / Hosting Questions
From:       "JD Daniels" <jd () datatrio ! com>
Date:       2003-05-30 13:41:46

Hey everyone,

Among Other things, I am an ISP, and have put together two machines to get
all my perl/php crap working under cocoon. I have this outstanding trouble,
but really really want to make a production machine for multuple domain
hosting.

So I have the following questions:

What would be the best way to setup a cocoon server for multiple users?

Right now I have one machine with tomcat 4.18 and virtual host containers
      <Host name="www.domain.com" debug="0" appBase="hosts/domain"
unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
        <Alias>domain.com</Alias>
        <Alias>64.114.x.x</Alias>
      </Host>

      <Host name="www.someotherdomain.com" debug="0"
appBase="hosts/someotherdomain" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
        <Alias>someotherdomain.com</Alias>
        <Alias>64.114.x.x</Alias>
      </Host>

So question one: Am I better off from a server resource standpoint, to have
ONE installation of Cocoon, and point the appBase to a subdirectory of it?
Right now, I have one machine with 4 hosts on it, all running thier own
complete copies of cocoon. To this point, I have only been using some of the
functionality while I figure out the basics enough to be able to handle
support calls. My numero-uno problem is this:

In Cocoon error and access logs :
ERROR   (2003-05-28) 14:09.30:185   [access] (Unknown-URI)
Unknown-thread/CocoonServlet: Cocoon got an Exception while trying to close
stream.
java.io.IOException: The stream has been closed

Or:
ERROR   (2003-05-29) 18:09.07:920   [access] (Unknown-URI)
Unknown-thread/CocoonServlet: Cocoon got an Exception while trying to close
stream.
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

Just seems to happen randomly. Although reliably.
So then after about 8 of those babies I get this in catalina.out
Logging Error: Unknown error writing event.
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

And well, then nothing works....
(However, my career started by trial and error perl/php hacking, and I
simply do not understand java memory management / garbage collecting...
yet )

This looks like a Tomcat trouble, But I can't figure it out :(

Help?
Ideas? :)

JD