List:       xml-cocoon-docs
Subject:    [Cocoon Wiki] Trivial Update of "CocoonVendorBranch" by MarkLundquist
From:       Apache Wiki <wikidiffs () apache ! org>
Date:       2006-11-14 0:45:47

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Cocoon Wiki" for change \
notification.

The following page has been changed by MarkLundquist:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonVendorBranch

The comment on the change is:
minor formatting change

  = Motivation =
   1. Control of local modifications (patches, additions to lib/local)
   1. Being able to easily see what changed from release to release
-  1. Import into the repository only what we need for production builds: selected \
blocks only, no samples or docs. +  1. Import into the repository only what we need \
for production builds: +    * selected blocks only
+    * no samples
+    * no documentation
  = Overview =
  This is a variation on the Subversion \
"[http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s04.html vendor branch]" strategy.  It \
differs from the technique outlined in the book, in that we don't have a single main \
branch into which we merge vendor drops. We want to be able to assimilate a new \
Cocoon release without forcing all of our Cocoon application to upgrade, so we have a \
main branch for each Cocoon release that we bring in.  That way, we can port each of \
our applications to a new Cocoon only if and when we need to do so.