List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    RE: Latest on Cocoon?
From:       "Robby Pelssers" <robby.pelssers () ciber ! com>
Date:       2010-12-17 16:09:36

Ok... my mail might have sounded a bit sarcastic...  but i think that's the price you \
have to pay for innovation.  Either you go with the flow and pay the price (or you \
customers do) or you keep on using slowly deprecating technology. My customer is \
facing the same issue. They are still using a really old highly customized version of \
Websphere Product Centre (JDK1.4 ugh ugh).   Upgrading will cost them 1.5 million \
euro ;-(

While choosing for open source will prevent vendor lock-in, not upgrading from time \
                to time will lead to ... how will i call it:
- version lock in
- application lock in
- ...

I think it's important to inform customers about the consequences of making too many \
customizations. And it's equaly important to investigate if an appropiate upgrade \
path can be followed.  I personally convince customers that upgrading with new major \
releases should be taken into account.

Robby