List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: Automatic releases
From:       Bruno Dumon <bruno () outerthought ! org>
Date:       2006-05-24 20:28:50

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 22:06 +0200, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Jorg Heymans wrote:
> > Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> >

> >>Is there any possibility to provide automatic *unofficial* releases of
> >>our artifacts? I'm asking because for me (and I think for others too)
> >>it's an important requirement that only non-SNAPSHOT artifacts are used
> >>in my POMs. That's the only way to guarantee that a POM working today
> >>will still work tommorrow or in two years.

One possibility is of course to maintain these non-official artifacts in
the context of your own project.

> > I fully agree with your argument about producing reproducible artifacts.
> >
> > However I'm not sure what to think when you say 'unofficial release'. A
> > release is a release, whether we send a note to announce@a.o or not.
>
> The only difference to a snapshot releases is that we publish identifiable
> artifacts like cocoon-forms-r412334.jar instead of cocoon-forms-SNAPSHOT.jar.
> Compare it with a nightly build and producing nightly builds has been done for ages.
<snip/>

If Cocoon has say 50 artifacts (I'm wildly guessing here), and you do 50
releases a year, in 5 years this will give 12.500 released jars. Seems
like quite a lot to keep around forever :-)