List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: [RT] a simple release plan
From:       Reinhard Poetz <reinhard () apache ! org>
Date:       2006-03-17 13:53:47

Andreas Hochsteger wrote:

> Upayavira schrieb:
>
>> Andreas Hochsteger wrote:

>>> Is there something that persons without SVN access can help with?
>>> The instructions for the m10n of Cocoon Blocks require SVN access for
>>> moving directories and files.
>>>
>>> Nevertheless I'd be glad to help by providing patches via Jira, if
>>> somebody could tell me what might be doable for me.
>>>
>>> I already was able to build the trunk with Maven and run the Welcome
>>> page - but without samples so far.
>>

>> The subversion part is the easiest bit. Working out exactly how to make
>> it work is very useful and doesn't require SVN commit rights. Although,
>> if you do move directories, try using svn move, as it will likely make
>> for better svn patch or svn diff output at the end of the process.
>>
>> Personally, I would say go for it. Anything anyone can do would be
>> great, and is much needed right now.
>

> Thanks, Upayavira!
>
> I mocked-up a shell script which converts the directories from the "old"
> blocks to the structure used by the "new" mavenized ones.
>
> Don't expect too much, since there is still some more manual work to do,
> but at least some easy parts can be automated this way.
>
> It handles the following directories from the old blocks:
> * java
> * test
> * conf
> * WEB-INF
> * samples
>
> Currently the directories are only copied and not moved via 'svn mv'.
> I wrapped the commands for moving directories into the function
> MoveDir() which can be adjusted to perform svn operations.
>
> The converted directory structure looks like this (<blockname> refers to
> the directory name of the old blocks):
>
> cocoon-<blockname>
> +-cocoon-<blockname>-impl
> | +-src
> | | +-main
> | | +-test
> | +-cocoon-<blockname>-sample
> | +-src
> | | +-main
>
> It would be great if somebody can have a look at it, if I got everything
> right.
>
> Next step would be to adjust MoveDir() for svn operations and to handle
> pom.xml.
> I don't know if the handling of pom.xml can be easily automated, since
> it has to be split into 3 pom files.

Andreas, thanks for getting involved! Your work looks good; could you please
make some changes to the directory structure of the "new block"? What we need is
a structure as used in "cocoon-deployer-plugin-demo":

src
   main
     java
     resources
       COB-INF --> the webapp here (e.g. samples)
       META-INF --> component configurations here

This is the right structure for "real blocks". In order to satisfy our current
needs of deploying into a web application that does *not* use the blocks-fw, we
can extract the JAR into several places from within an Ant script or a Mojo:

COB-INF        --> [web-app]/samples
META-INF       --> [web-app]/WEB-INF/xconf
the JAR itself --> [web-app]/WEB-INF/lib

It shouldn't matter that we use the "new" structure.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc