List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: Block deployment: working with blocks from a user's point of
From:       Reinhard Poetz <reinhard () apache ! org>
Date:       2006-01-13 6:15:49

Giacomo Pati wrote:

<snip/>

> In Reinhards document it is META-INF/block.xml on the Wiki it's
> COB-INF/block.xml. So we need to make a decision:-)

Please use META-INF/block.xml, AFAIK we agreed on making our blocks valid JAR
files. The skeleton in my tutorial should be compiled and packaged to an archive
having following content:

/JAR-FILE-ROOT
  +-com
  | +-mycompany
  |   +-blocks
  |     +-myblock
  |       +-MyCocoonAction.class
  +-META-INF
  | +-block.xml
  |   +-com
  |   +-mycompany
  |     +-blocks
  |       +-myblock
  |         +-pom.xml
  +-cocoon-app
    +-sitemap.xmap
    +-test.xml

If we follow the default Maven directory structure as outlined in my tutorial,
the archive will be created automatically for us.

>> Now to answer your question ;) the position of the .xconf of a block
>> is defined in the components element of block.xml.
>

> Ok, looking at [1] it is defined in the block.xconf file, which is
> located in COB-INF (or WEB-INF or META-INF respectively). Is that still
> correct?

I'm not sure where block.xconf should go to. I'd put it under cocoon-app and not
under META-INF. WDOT?

>>>  Do we need a different mechanism to include those (is copying over
>>> to the
>>>  Cocoon WEB-INF/xconf an option for rapid development)?
>>

>> For blocks the component configuration file is intended to be fixed
>> and included in the block jar. So it is never copied anywhere as in
>> 2.2 before M2. User configurability is solved with using block
>> properties in the configuration file instead. Whether this will be
>> enough is an open question. But I guess most agree with that the copy
>> and modify approach to configurations in 2.1 not is the way to go.
>>
>> For rapid development the wiring.xml (or some development time
>> equivalent) should point to the source code of the respective blocks,
>> rather than on some packaged and deployed blocks.
>

> Forget it. The current inclusion mechanism with the xconf directory in
> WEB-INF is obsolete I guess.

yes

>>>  How can one ev. define logkit.xml stuff if they want to have their own
>>>  logging factory/target/category for the components defined in the block
>>>  (asuming logkit is still the main logging system in Cocoon)?
>>

>> That is an open question, we have not discussed that much. In the
>> current implementation I have just reused the existing Cocoon
>> mechanism with centralized log configurations in /WEB-INF, and is
>> feeding the Logger to all the blocks. But I would much prefer to
>> distribute configurations and maybe even choice of logging framework
>> to the individual blocks. OTH completely distributed logging with
>> numerous log strategies in the same applications, will be nightmare
>> when trying to see what got wrong so some level of centralization is
>> required.
>>
>> WDYT?
>

> I'd pretty much like distributed logging configuration (whereas
> distributed logging implementation might be overkill).

I want to see this too. But I think we should wait a bit with finding solutions
for this.

>>>  Same applies to stuff going into web.xmlof the context?
>>

>> After the refactoring I actually use the ServletContext, with a few
>> extra methods for all block context information and inter block
>> communication. Everything isn't implemented yet, but the idea is that
>> the individual blocks get a context object that wrapps the servlet
>> context from the container and in some cases add and in some cases
>> overide the content of that.
>>
>> But this is also a rather open question. The current implementation
>> uses the o.a.c.core.Settings interface that Carsten have developed and
>> that have a rather neat impelemntation where you can combine the
>> web.xml parameters with Java properties. But the bad thing about it in
>> the block context is that it is centralized. We need to discuss what
>> settings that need to be centralized and what we want to handle on the
>> block level.
>

> One thing of the web.xml is configuration stuff that is passed to the
> Servlet (which is Cocoon) deployed. This is not troubling me (we do have
> other mechanisms to pass down configuration values as you've described).
>
> The other thing is container configuration as defined by the Servlet
> Spec (security, mime types, and alike). Blocks might want to define
> security policies for the URL they are mounted on.

good points, but same again here: we should wait until we have a simple block
based application running and then we can talk about this, logging configuration
and settings/property management.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc