List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: Cocoon 2.2 - Build and deployment with Maven2
From:       Jorg Heymans <jh () domek ! be>
Date:       2005-12-13 10:17:50

Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> We also discussed the structure of projects as proposed by Jorg some
> time ago
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=113102875010469&w=2).
>
> /my-block
>      pom.xml
>      /api
>         pom.xml
>      /impl
>         pom.xml
>      /samples
>         pom.xml
>
> The (usual) dependencies are:
>
>  - impl depends on api (normal JAR dependency)
>  - the sample block depends on the impl block
>
> Out of this we will get two blocks:
>
>  - my-block-block
             ^^^^^^^^

Don't you mean my-block-impl-block ?

The main thing here is that we feel that api is not a "real" block (ie
it won't have a block descriptor).

impl is the thing people can actually use when building webapps.

samples is just an "example" of how the impl block can be used in a
webapp ie it demonstrates the blocks' capabilities. It is a real block
on its own and has a block dependency (not a normal jar dependency) on
impl.

Jorg