List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: [Poll] We need to align on one point (was Re: [Vision] Knowing
From:       Daniel Fagerstrom <danielf () nada ! kth ! se>
Date:       2005-12-07 18:10:34

Following the vision that Bertrand and Marc expressed, I'd like to see
Cocoon becoming less of a xml webapp framework and more of a set of
reuasble xml webapp components and a set of design patterns. With this I
measn that you can use the parts of Cocoon that you like, in the way you
like in your webapp, without having to buy a whole religion.

So following this, the flowscript controller should be less tightly
integrated than it is today. We have a flowscript servlet that can be
used stand alone in other projects. When you use it in Cocoon, you just
inject the Cocoon component model in it and it can call the sitemap
controller or other controllers through the servlet context (or whatever
reusable way we come up with).

The Cocoon component model is written in Java and properly POJOfied, so
it doesn't need to have any JavaScript awareness.

And a JavaFlow controler can work in a similar way. If I understod
Torsten right, there is allready a JavaFlow servlet.

Given the need for backcompability and the fact that a flowscript
controller is rather usefull in its own right, for people who happen to
like JavaScript. It is reasonable that we maintain such a beast during
the forseeable future. It doesn't have to be part of the core of Cocoon
though.

                     --- o0o ---

So given that we factor out the flowscript controller from the core, the
question is what your question bellow will mean. It will be up to the
application writer what to use. And hopefully our blocks will take of
more as more independent projects, that do whatever they find best.

Except for in the CForms block, IIRC, I don't think that we have written
that much flowscript code that is supposed to be reused. Despite that
flowscripts have been around for quite a long time.

For the actual core of Cocoon I envision that everything have clean and
well designed Java interfaces, so that you can develop purely in a Java
world.

If we build reusable webapps, I would have nothing against focusing on
Java. And also focusing on Java in the documentation would be Ok for me.

But above all I would prefer if we focused on providing a small, clean,
stable and reusable set of core xml webapp components and leave it to
the users to do whatever they want with them.

/Daniel