List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: Cocoon 2.2 - Build and deployment with Maven2
From:       Jorg Heymans <jh () domek ! be>
Date:       2005-12-05 8:41:36

Reinhard Poetz wrote:

>> What do you think about moving block dependecy handling from block.xml
>> to pom.xml? It means reduced flexibilty as block dependencies becomes

IIUC, the dependency handling discussed here is the deploy-time
dependency handling, thus only relevant for the deployer?

In that case if we have something like

<dependency>
     <artifactId>myBlock</artifactId>
     <groupId>org.apache.cocoon.blocks</groupId>
     <version>1.2alpha</version>
</dependency>

then the deployer could check for all declared dependencies with
groupId "org.apache.cocoon.blocks" and treat them as "block"
dependencies. There are other ways to distinguish between dependencies
in maven, but this would be the easiest initially i think.

>> dependencies we can add it later. There would be a need to give the
>> dependencies POM unique ids that can be used in the block protocol and

not sure on how to best solve this, i'll give it some thought.

>> we also need a way to be able to mark a dependency as "extension", any
>> idea if this would be possible?

   <parent>
     <groupId>org.apache.cocoon.blocks</groupId>
     <artifactId>myParentBlock</artifactId>
     <version>0.5.6</version>
   </parent>

i'ld say declare a parent section in pom.xml that points to the parent.
This information is again only relevant to the deployer right ? (because
it needs to make sure the parent block is deployed as well)

The deployer could use the maven api to find out the block parent
(recursively?)

Regards
Jorg