List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: forms block does not compile for java 1.3
From:       Berin Loritsch <bloritsch () d-haven ! org>
Date:       2005-09-29 13:44:46

Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> I guess this means forms trunk has to support JDK 1.3 and cannot move
>> to 1.4?
>

> Yep, since we are now sharing the same form block (in cocoon-blocks)
> for both cocoon versions (2.1.x and 2.2).
> Seems like every day JDK 1.3 compatibility becomes a bigger PITA! :-(
> Need we still care?

In the case of the RuntimeExceptions, if we have our own exception class
that extends RuntimeException and supports the necessary constructor we
effectively accomplish two things:

1) We can support any version of Java
2) We have a much better clue of where the runtime exception came
from--it is essentially branded.