List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: [Proposal] Creating better portal urls
From:       Ralph Goers <Ralph.Goers () dslextreme ! com>
Date:       2005-09-07 6:17:28

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Don't know much about the portal, but this proposal triggered a few
>>thoughts.
>>
>>First of all, using path elements to identify objects and actions, and
>>possibly allowing to have multiple pairs is likely to cause problems by
>>forbidding the use of relative URLs for links, images, etc. A separator
>>other than "/" would solve this.
>>

>In general true, but not inside the portal - the portal creates or
>rewrites all urls. So the portal is taking care of this.
>

>>Now about bookmarking. You speak about "sending events". Does it make
>>sense to bookmark a URL that sends an event? What if the bookmark is
>>displayed again later in a system state where that event doesn't make sense?
>>

>The current bookmark feature does exactly the same. Now the proposal is
>not about all events that are possible in the portal. It's just for the
>most common ones, like switching the tab.
>Now, users of the portal want "readable urls", they want something like
>http://my.great.portal.com/index.html or
>http://my.great.portal.com/news.html
>(If *we* like the .html at the end or not is not the question.)
>
>Currently the urls look like
>http://my.great.porta.com/portal?cocoon-portal-event=27
>Even with page labels the url is not that much better.

I beg to differ.  I actually implemented pageLabels based upon explicit
requirements I was given from our web authors. i.e. they wanted a syntax
like pageLabel=maintab1.subnavitem2.thirdnav1.  And while I will admit
that the event data passed to the portlet url is somewhat obscure, it is
very similar to that used by pluto (since I borrowed some of the logic
from them).

>With the proposal we are able to have urls like
>http://my.great.portal.com/page/index.html

And how would this look with three nav levels and a portlet url and the
fullscreen event?

>And these urls are always valid, so the created events always make
>sense. I think this currently only makes sense for the tab layout to
>switch the tab and perhaps for some "main content" portlet displaying
>the main content.

I still don't understand why you want to do this.  All the plumbing is
there now.

>Carsten

Ralph