List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: [Proposal] Creating better portal urls
From:       Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler () apache ! org>
Date:       2005-09-07 5:51:20

Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Don't know much about the portal, but this proposal triggered a few
> thoughts.
>
> First of all, using path elements to identify objects and actions, and
> possibly allowing to have multiple pairs is likely to cause problems by
> forbidding the use of relative URLs for links, images, etc. A separator
> other than "/" would solve this.

In general true, but not inside the portal - the portal creates or
rewrites all urls. So the portal is taking care of this.

> Now about bookmarking. You speak about "sending events". Does it make
> sense to bookmark a URL that sends an event? What if the bookmark is
> displayed again later in a system state where that event doesn't make sense?
The current bookmark feature does exactly the same. Now the proposal is
not about all events that are possible in the portal. It's just for the
most common ones, like switching the tab.
Now, users of the portal want "readable urls", they want something like
http://my.great.portal.com/index.html or
http://my.great.portal.com/news.html
(If *we* like the .html at the end or not is not the question.)

Currently the urls look like
http://my.great.porta.com/portal?cocoon-portal-event=27
Even with page labels the url is not that much better.

With the proposal we are able to have urls like
http://my.great.portal.com/page/index.html

And these urls are always valid, so the created events always make
sense. I think this currently only makes sense for the tab layout to
switch the tab and perhaps for some "main content" portlet displaying
the main content.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/