List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: [Proposal] Creating better portal urls
From:       Ralph Goers <Ralph.Goers () dslextreme ! com>
Date:       2005-09-06 20:54:18

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Ralph Goers wrote:
>

>>Did you look at the ConvertableEvent and ConvertableEventFactory?  The
>>idea there was to allow events to be created using the information
>>provided in the request. You can see implementations of this in
>>FullScreenCopletEventFactory and PortletURLProviderFactory.  The
>>ConvertableEventAspect creates the events. I only create the ones for
>>FullScreen and PortletURLProvider because they were required to get
>>JSR-168 portlets to work properly. I had intended to create more of them
>>but I haven't had the need.
>>

>Yepp, I know them - the mechanism I'm thinking of is similar (perhaps
>uses the same components), but the basic different is that the
>information is added to the path of the url and not as parameters.

Why?  It seems cleaner to me to use parameters. The way it is
implemented now uses the javax.portlet restricted namespace and it
doesn't clutter up the url - which is typically used for navigation.  I
thought about adding the stuff to the url, but in the end it seemed that
the url would just end up big and ugly.

Ralph