List:       xml-cocoon-dev
Subject:    Re: New Cocoon block: ValidatorTransformer
From:       Daniel Fagerstrom <danielf () nada ! kth ! se>
Date:       2004-05-28 13:59:44

The licensing problems can be solved by writing the validation
transformer in terms of the JARV api,
http://iso-relax.sourceforge.net/JARV/. Then JARV have a run time
discovery mechanism for finding the actual implementation of the schema
language, http://iso-relax.sourceforge.net/JARV/JARV.html#discovery.

There are a couple of different implementations of JARV
http://iso-relax.sourceforge.net/JARV/JARV.html#download, MSV (RELAX
NG/Core/Namespace, TREX, W3C XML Schema, XML DTD) and Jing (RELAX NG)
has built in JARV support and there is an external JARV driver
http://www.kohsuke.org/jarv/xerces/ for Xerces2 (W3C XML Schema). JARV
and the Xerces2 driver has AFAIU MIT License.

So by using JARV we get validation with Jing, Xerces2 and Jing without
licensing problems and people who want to use MSV, just need to download
it and change the configuration.

J2SE 1.5 contains a validation api javax.xml.validation that is a
superset of JARV and there is a adaptor from JARV to that interface
http://www.kohsuke.org/jarv/tiger/.

Still it is a bad if we not can include MSV. It contains a schema data
type library with validation and Java conversion for all XML Schema data
types, that IMO would be useful in CForms for adding XML Schema data
types as well.

/Daniel