List:       xml-apache-general
Subject:    Re: UTF-8 output invalid from
From:       Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo () metalab ! unc ! edu>
Date:       2003-12-06 16:37:35

At 11:13 AM -0500 12/6/03, Jim Cobban wrote:

>If I enter a character such as e' (e with acute accent) into the JTextArea
>and I look at the XML file using a non-UTF-8-aware editor I see that the e'
>has been inserted as a single byte, not as the 2 character UTF-8 escaped
>value.  If I subsequently try to read the XML file using XERCES it blows up
>because of the invalid escape sequence.

I'm certainly not sure of this, but if I had to guess I'd say it's
more likely the bug is in Swing than Xerces. Can you provide a test
case that demonstrates this bug without using Swing? e.g. just
serializing a simple string that contains e with accent acute hard
coded into the source code using a \u escape?
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu