List:       xml-apache-general
Subject:    evaluating pull parsing APIs [Re: [Announce] CyberNeko Tools for XNI
From:       Aleksander Slominski <aslom () cs ! indiana ! edu>
Date:       2002-09-16 16:42:54

Andy Clark wrote:

> Now that NekoPull has been out for awhile, I'd like to
> know if people have looked at it and what they think of
> my approach to an XML pull-parsing API. There are some
> key differences between NekoPull and other APIs (e.g.
> XMLPull). The primary difference is the hierarchy of
> classes with public fields to access the document info.
> Does this work for people? Is it worthwhile to pursue
> a native implementation of this approach?
>
> All questions, comments, and concerns are welcome.

hi Andy,

i think that it is interesting approach however currently included
samples (counter, tracer, writer) are very simple so it is hard to
see how pull parsing is really working - in XmlPull we have
not only standard samples but also more complex ones
and that were specifically chosen to allow comparing pull parsing
with push parsing: samples are based on articles that were
describing .NET or SAX and we wanted to show that pull parsing
and particularly XmlPull API is good solution :-)
i think they should be very easy to modify for NekoPull.

see:

  http://www.xmlpull.org/v1/download/unpacked/src/java/samples/RSSReader.java

first sample can also be compared to .NET code from
the original article: http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/05/22/parsing.html
and its SAX version: http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/03/06/csharpxml.html

  http://www.xmlpull.org/v1/download/unpacked/src/java/samples/BestDeal.java

second sample is aiming to show that maintaining state with pull
parser is much easier than to use SAX with switch/case in callbacks IMHO.

i believe that those two samples can be a valuable tool to compare
different APIs and i would like to hear your opinion.

thanks,

alek