List:       xml-apache-general
Subject:    Re: Progressive parsing
From:       Paul Libbrecht <paul () activemath ! org>
Date:       2002-08-31 13:03:47

Well,

Having a position according to an encoding is honestly, simply... bad.

One of the goal applications was to be able to be a client of such an
indexed-database over http/1.1. The latter protocol has a way to request
only a row of segments of a file. But that can only happen in bytes of
course.

When doing it with files, one expects to use, say, the
InputStream.skip() method which is, hopefully, efficiently implemented
and skips the cursor in the file-reading underlying routines.
Skipping x characters using an encoding is simply a killer: the encoding
has to run through all the characters. For example, in UTF-8, skipping
an escaped character means skipping three bytes (I think) whereas
skipping an ASCII character means skipping one byte.

So... I really meant: "Can I get the byte-position".
Currently, the only way is to build thing index using a
"load-in-memory-than-rewrite-to-file"... I can live with this but I
would have expected "fine parsers" to provide more.

Paul