List:       xml-apache-general
Subject:    Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]:  Xerces-J 2.1.0 is now available
From:       neilg () ca ! ibm ! com
Date:       2002-08-29 21:45:57

Hi Paul,

cc'ing the xerces-j-user list, since that's probably where we should ta=
ke
this discussion.

I have a feeling you probably already know this, but the Schema for Sch=
emas
certainly isn't needed to use Xerces to validate a schema without an
instance document.  (In fact, although the Schema for Schemas is normat=
ive,
there are many kinds of schema constraints that it simply can't capture=
; so
you wouldn't be well-advised to use it--if schema-validation is all you=

want--even were Xerces to process it correctly).

For a sample program that shows you how to do this, look at our
xni.XMLGrammarBuilder sample.  Basically, all you need to do is tell Xe=
rces
to preparse a schema, and it will validate that schema to the best of i=
ts
abilities as it builds its internal representation of it.

Hope that helps,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

|         |           Paul Libbrecht   |
|         |           <paul@activemath.|
|         |           org>             |
|         |           08/29/2002 05:37 |
|         |           general          |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
--|
  |                                                                    =
                                                                       =

  |       To:       general@xml.apache.org                             =
                                                                       =

  |       cc:                                                          =
                                                                       =

  |       Subject:  Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]:  Xerces-J 2.1.0 is now availabl=
e                                                                      =

  |                                                                    =
                                                                       =

  |                                                                    =
                                                                       =

  >--------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
--|

Mmmh,

How can I do it then to have an Apache schema-validating parser that ca=
validate a schema ??

Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
----------------------------------------------------------------------|=

-----------------------------------------------------------------------=
----------------------------------------------------------------------|=

> That looks good,
>
> Does this fix the dreaded Schema-validation-
> can't-validate-schema-schema ? So that we finally get a complete
> open-source schema validator.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Paul
>

> On Mercredi, ao=FBt 28, 2002, at 10:47 , neilg@ca.ibm.com wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> The Xerces-J team is pleased to announce the availability
>> of Xerces-J 2.1.0.  While there have been some relatively minor chan=
ges
>> to the Xerces Native Interface (as documented below), this release
>> has focused primarily on filling out gaps in function--such as in th=
>> experimental DOM level 3 support--and on bug and performance fixes.
>>
>> The release can be downloaded from
>> http://xml.apache.org/dists/xerces-j.
>>
>> The detailed list of changes between this and the prior Xerces-J
>> release
>> are as follows:
>>
>> - Added xni.XMLDocumentHandler.setDocumentSource/getDocumentSource
>>     and XMLDocumentSource.getDocumentHandler methods to allow to
>>     modify Xerces pipeline dynamically.
>> - when the new DOM document is used, element/attribute nodes can be
>>     casted to Element/AttributePSVI interfaces to retrieve PSVI
>>     properties.
>> - Provide access to PSVI via SAX using
>>     org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.psvi.PSVIProvider interface.
>> - Provided a way to convert preparsed schema grammars to XSModels.
>> - Message localization changes.
>> - Send all element PSVI properties on endElement calls, so that the
>>     application doesn't need to stack them when startElement is call=
ed.
>> - Made it possible to build a Schema Datatype jar file. Now it can b=
>>     used as a standalone data type library.
>> - avoid using exceptions to determine whether an array needs to be
>> resized.
>> - avoid adding the commonly used XML symbols to the symbol table aga=
in
>> and again.
>> - improve scanning speed by skipping end tag names and using proper
>>     input buffer size.
>> - Applied fixes to Xerces's regular expression support to address a
>>     number of bugs reported by users.
>> - Provide implementation for DOM Level 3 DOMBuilderFilter and
>> DOMWriterFilter.
>> - Applied fixes to JAXP, SAX and internal object factory code so tha=
>>     it behaves correctly in environments where AccessControllers are=

>> being used.
>>     These fixes make it no longer possible to compile Xerces under J=
DK

=