List:       xinetd
Subject:    Re: Rpm spec file ?
From:       Steve G <linux_4ever () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-07-28 11:45:35

>If you want to include a specfile in the
>distribution, you probably ought to autoconfify
>it, so that a current spec file can be
>generated from xinetd.spec.in when configure
>is run.

The idea I'm shooting for is that you don't need to
open the tarball. The spec file sets the correct
options to configure. I really want it to be this
simple:

rpm -tb xinetd-2.3.6.tar.gz

For the majority of users. For others, I think they'll
have to do a little more work, but it should be
simple, too.

>You'll also need to include a sysvinit script
>with the package, and it might be a little
>trouble making one that lives happily on
>different distributions.

Right. The init file I use is a better one than what
distros currently ship in that it covers all the
things xinetd can do. As for other distros, other
projects seem to have a contrib directory and they
have different spec files ( Suse, and others ).

>I've got a slightly-backported (to RH 5.x) spec
>that should be a little more universal than RH's
>latest and greatest, if you're interested.

Sure. I guess that's as good a place to start as any.
If any one else has their own spec file...I'd like to
look at it, too. Especially if is for Suse (since I
don't use Suse and don't know their directory layout).

-Steve Grubb