List:       xine-user
Subject:    [xine-user] Xine and monitor aspect ratio
From:       "=?UTF-8?Q?Maciej_=C5=BBenczykowski?=" <zenczykowski () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-10 2:50:11

I have a question regarding xine's automatic monitor aspect-ratio
detection routines.

I have a setup (a laptop) with both a 1440x900 (square pixels for a
16:10 physical aspect ratio) lcd display, and an externally connected
optoma hd70 projector (1280x720, square pixels for a 16:9 physical
aspect ratio).  Using an ATI graphics card with the fglrx binary
graphics driver.  [I also occasionally connect to different
screens/projectors at work, with varying setups]

I can via xrandr and ati bigdesktop setup switch between the internal,
both, or the external screen and different resolutions with ease.
Xine displays correctly if displaying to the internal screen (becauses
EDID detection returns the proper dimensions for the internal lvds
display and the square pixels are detected correctly).  However xine
sigfpe's on startup if the screen is set to display on the external
projector (because the EDID from the external projector does not
report a screen size - because it can't know it because it varies
depending on screen distance from the projector...).  I can override
this by providing a physical "DisplaySize" in the xorg.conf file -
however this requires lying about the displaysize of the internal
display (since there is only one setting for both
internal/both/external settings of bigdesktop), and thus results in a
bad display on the internal screen (because the internal display is
16:10 while the projector is 16:9 and I can't specify different
displaysizes for the both of them due to this being a dynamic
bigdesktop setup).

For mplayer I can get around this with a trivial
"monitorpixelaspect=1" in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf or on the command
line.

How do I tell xine to ignore the display/dpi settings it pulls from X
and specify that this screen has square pixels / or that it has a an
aspect of 16:9.  I can't seem to find any flags/options that would
allow me to set this...

Thanks,
Maciej