List:       xine-user
Subject:    Re: [xine-user] Problem playing certain mp3s
From:       Julian Sikorski <lordzanon () poczta ! onet ! pl>
Date:       2005-06-29 7:52:07

Darren Salt wrote:
> I demand that Julian Sikorski may or may not have written...
>

>>When I try to play some mp3s gxine prints out a message: xine engine failed
>>to start. No demuxer found - stream format not recognised.
>

> That's a xine-lib issue - which version are you using?
>
> Some information about these MP3 files and, possibly, a small file which
> causes this message to be reported and which can be downloaded, would also be
> of help - particularly if you're using 1.0.1 or a snapshot from CVS HEAD.
>

>>Strange. The problem is more annoying as to play something else I have
>>to restart gxine
>

> Hmm? If the video display area is hidden, that's not a problem. If the menu
> bar is hidden (as it will be, but shouldn't be, for a short time when gxine
> is started up), then click on the Stop button or right-click where the menu
> bar should be.
>

>>ant what is even worse, this issue hangs amaroK. [...]
>

> All that I can say about amaroK is check that you're using the current
> version...

I am using xine-lib 1.0.1, amaroK 1.3 beta 2, gxine 0.4.5 and Fedora
Core 4. Mp3 files are quite big, I can send a few to you if you'd like.
But most probably the issue is caused bu the lack of filetype string (i
don't know exactly how it is called but removing the extension from such
a fiel makes konqueror think it is a file of unknown type.