List:       xine-user
Subject:    Re: [xine-user] Unable to change brightness with xine's newer versions
From:       Asier Goikoetxea Yanci <asier () cabtivate ! com>
Date:       2004-02-27 21:47:56

Hi Siggi,

On Friday 27 Feb 2004 20:36, Siggi Langauf wrote:
> Hi Asier,
> Please try again! Note that the changes you make in "Chain Reaction" only
> become visible after
> 1) you have enabled Post Processing (the "Enable" Button is pressed)
> 2) The parameters are in allowed range (eg. brightness: -1...+1)
> 3) you start playing the next video (values only apply to new frames)

When making the changes, I noticed, as you say, that they become visible
after. I did not manage to improve it thouth. I have not access to the
computer just now, so I wont be able to try it again until Monday.

> Most likely, you want to set gamma (probably to a value of ~2), instead of
> brightness, but feel free to try any of the parameters!

I will try modifying any parameters as long as it helps to solve this issue...

> You should also know that the post processor settings are _not_ saved when
> you exit xine, so you should probably take notes if you found some good
> settings. There is a command line option to configure post processing, but
> it doesn't seem to work very well with any values I've tried... :-/

Well, on my case, this would not be very nice but if it is the way to go, it
is the way to go. I manage to find the correct setting for my system, I may
try to add the code to set these parameters as soon as xine is started, so I
it would be set-up properly by the time it starts to play videos.

> > It happens as soon as xine is started, there is not need to start playing
> > a video in order to have the "brightness" issue.
>
> That's because the xine logo is displayed as a video (with only one frame)
> itself.

understood!

> > Apparently, if I play any of these three versions on my laptop, which has
> > ATI chipset, I don't have any problem at all.
>
> That's because Xv on the ATI chipset seems to work properly, including
> Xv's hardware brightness/contrast settings, which are completely different
> from the software solution that our Post plugins provide.

I thought so. No doubt ATI would be better supported than the chipset I have.

> If you have recently changed graphics cards or XFree versions, there's a
> possibility that the hardware settings for brightness/contrast are stored
> in your config file using the wrong scale. In that case:
>
> - quit xine
> - delete the appropriate settings from xine's config file
>   (you can delete the whole file, ~/.xine/config or find the lines that
>    start with "video.XV_" and remove them using a text editor)
>   If you're using gxine, the file is ~/.gxine/config

I did not change graphics card nor XFree, I just did a clean install. I
remember deleting config file, but as I had been playing with different
xine-ui version, I will try to delete the config file and double check the
contents.

> If you restart xine after this change, your Xv driver's default values
> should be used, and the sliders in xine's video settings dialog
> (Settings/Video...) should work again. (Brightness="Brt"). Those are the
> hardware settings, and changes are immediately visible in the video
> window. However, if the Xv driver reports any problems with any of those
> parameters, the related slider is disabled in the dialog. (That's why only
> some of them actually have a slider.)

Since I can use brightness slider in xine's video setting when running version
0.9.13 but not when using versions 0.9.18 nor 0.9.23 and according to what
you state above, how likely is to Xv report an error when running with later
versions? Where can I check for this kind of reports?

Thanks a lot for your advice. I have now few things more to test on Monday and
hope to solve it soon ;-)

Have a nice weekend

Cheers.

Asier