List:       xine-devel
Subject:    [xine-devel] Some xine-lib/xineliboutput issues
From:       Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj () urpla ! net>
Date:       2020-11-11 13:35:15

[this was sent to Petri directly some time ago <sorry Petri>, resend rephrased
to reach out for a broader community]

Hi,

first of all, thank you for supporting all this for such a long time. Without
xine-lib/xineliboutput, my family wouldn't have *any* fun with TVs (which are
all still dump and dated..).

xine-lib/xineliboutput packages are used in a shared VDR system, hence it's
probably a good idea to give some feedback. We're are happy VDR campers since
2004/#1362. All packages are build in public, btw:

  https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor/home:frispete:vdr

and I attempt to push them into the openSUSE distribution from time to time.

The real packages have to be build in a closed area (for obvious reasons).

Our primary VDR 2.4.4 runs on a Leap 15.2 server with a 8 channel DVB card (DD
Max S8). All set-top boxes are Tumbleweeds (rolling releases, not updated
that often). All systems use pretty current kernels (5.9.1), and are connected
via 1000baseT LAN. Clients usually don't have their own DVB. Everything is set
up conservatively, VDR LCARS UI, reduced plug-in set: dvbapi, epgsearch,
femon, xineliboutput, streamdev-{server,client}.

The packages are pretty current, especially xine-lib/xineliboutput are
built from hg/git sources, and work fine in most aspects, but with two pretty
nagging issues remaining:

1) Seeking forward/backward in records often leads to deadlocks, with higher
probability on lower-end systems.

2) And a very specific one, that I was able to reproduce with all kinds of
NVIDIA hardware and vdpau: switching to live TV signal of a certain sender
bouquet (ZDF, 3sat, ZDF Info) results in a completely distorted screen play.
Here's a screen cast:

  https://urpla.net/screencast-2020-10-23_19.45.56.mkv

This doesn't depend on driver versions (G04/G05) nor other system parameter
(e.g. from lower end to somewhat higher end CPU), happens pretty every time
after system start. Restarting VDR (via OSM) resolves this effect most of the
time for all affected senders. Other video output devices create different
issues and the set-top systems are so low end, that vdpau output is still the
preferred one (where applicable).

Do you have any idea, what could result in such specific issues here?

Cheers,
Pete

$ rpmg 'xinelib|libxine' | grep -v debug
libxine2-1.2.10.14803-172.2.x86_64
libxine2-codecs-1.2.10.14803-172.2.x86_64
libxine2-pulse-1.2.10.14803-172.2.x86_64
vdr-plugin-xineliboutput-2.1.1~git.20200830T143214.0b9a01d-28.2.x86_64
vdr-xineliboutput-client-2.1.1~git.20200830T143214.0b9a01d-28.2.x86_64

$ egrep -v '^(#|$)' ~/.xine/config_xineliboutput
.version:2
audio.synchronization.av_sync_method:resample
video.processing.ffmpeg_thread_count:8
media.network.bandwidth:10.5 Mbps (LAN)
effects.goom.fps:25
effects.goom.height:576