List:       xine-devel
Subject:    [xine-devel] xine-lib and libdvdnav
From:       Chris Rankin <rankincj () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2015-05-31 18:27:31

Hi,

I've just been reminded that xine-lib contains its own private copy of libdvdav; this \
copy doesn't support the latest version of libdvdcss and  so causes xine's DVD \
                playback to fail with this error:
libdvdread: Missing symbols in libdvdcss.so.2, this shouldn't happen !

The easiest solution is to compile xine-lib "--with-external-dvdnav", of course. But \
it made me wonder - why does xine-lib contain its own copy of libdvdnav in the first \
place? Has this libdvdnav been modified for some reason? And if so, why weren't these \
changes pushed upstream?

The internal dvdnav can only use libdvdcss <= 1.2.13, and also seems to contain a \
"crash" bug when the dvdnav plugin is closed that is caused by freeing an invalid \
pointer. (This crash also happens when I use libdvdcss 1.2.13 with Fedora 21/22's \
external libdvdnav, but vanishes when I upgrade to libdvdcss 1.3).

Any thoughts, anyone? My opinion is that we delete the internal libdvdnav and require \
it as an external dependency instead.

Cheers,
Chris