List:       xine-devel
Subject:    [xine-devel] PSX STR comments license
From:       "Mike S." <notsethgreen-prog () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2007-11-27 16:56:10

I would very much like to thank Mike Melanson, Stuart
Caie, and all for taking the time and effort to
include Playstation STR/MDEC decoding in the xine
media player.
http://osdir.com/ml/video.xine.devel/2003-02/msg00179.html
http://osdir.com/ml/video.xine.devel/2003-02/msg00186.html

I have spent the last few months writing a STR decoder
of my own in order to decode the video from a game
using unique huffman/vlc codes. During that process, I
have also documented what I learned about the STR file
format.

Given that there is very little written information
about the Playstation 1, and that it is now such an
old platform, I wanted to release the document
essentially license-free. I've considered
public-domain, but am currently using a slightly
modified MIT License.

But this documentation includes some of the
documentation comments from the xine source code,
specifically from demux_str.c. Since it is licensed
under the GPL v2, I am including a note about it being
under the GPL license, plus including the license at
the end of the file.

I wanted to obtain permission to relicense/sub-license
these 60 lines of text from demux_str.c to either MIT
License, or to provide it essentially without license.
Or is that the amount of text not significant enough
to warrant license concerns?

I have only recently begun learning about the many
licenses available and how to use them, so please
correct me of any errors I am making. I also apologize
if this was the wrong mailing list to inquire about
this.

My project and document is located at
http://code.google.com/p/jpsxdec/

Any help or information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Michael Sabin