List:       xine-devel
Subject:    Re: [xine-devel] [patch][xine-ui] do not call xine_stop() from the
From:       Stas Sergeev <stsp () aknet ! ru>
Date:       2007-07-23 4:18:30

Hi.

Hans-Dieter Kosch wrote:
> I think SIGTERM should yield a graceful exit like a user exit does.
In what way will it then be different
from SIGINT, SIGQUIT, SIGHUP etc?

> Good idea, but if the program has locked up, we may never reach this
> point...
That's why there are more than one signal
to intercept. Some are doing the graceful
exit, but that may not work. Then the other
ones (like SIGTERM) come into play - they
should work even then. Leaving the user with
the only SIGKILL possibility, even if you locked
up, is imho a bad idea.

>> But SIGTERM is a SIGTERM, it should just terminate,
>> maybe without any cleanups at all.
> See above...
But the "above" does not apply here. Because
if you do not intercept SIGTERM, or intercept
it for the very minimal cleanups that can be
done safely in a sighandler, then it will work
properly even if xine locked up.
If there are some realy vital system-wide
cleanups to do (unlinking the lock files and SHM),
then perhaps this is the reason for intercepting
even a SIGTERM, but I don't think xine have those.

> If we could intercept that, it wouldn't earn the name SIGKILL :-)
So, the user always have the possibility to kill
xine, no matter what you do. :) Then the question:
why making him to resort to SIGKILL for that?
The other progs always terminates by SIGTERM just
as well.
But in any case, that's not something I should
worry about, as long as the patch is applied. :)

> Anyway, I've committed your patch for now, leaving elaborated signal
> handling for a later time.
Thanks.