List:       xine-devel
Subject:    [xine-devel] decoding wmv8 using ffmpeg
From:       Mohamad Al-Saqer <msaqer () iastate ! edu>
Date:       2007-02-08 21:38:04

Hi all.

There are two issues with decoding wmv8 using ffmpeg. The first is that for
certain frames, the picture is greenish. Wide area of the stream is replaced
with green squares.

The other issue is, while movie is playing, you will find that in many times
frames stick and interfere with later frames. This is more apparent when a
sudden change of the image background happens.

Issues appear in both i386 and x86_64 machines.

 I am not sure if I am describing the problem accurately but one can check
that by using one of these streams, for example:
mms://stream.kacst.edu.sa/SaudiTV-Channel2
mmsh://live.sis.gov.eg/tv

I also have a 2.7MB of video dumped from the first link. It might be not
appropriate to send it to the whole list but I am glad to share it with those
who would like to test.

Stream plays well when using win32 codecs. The issue appears to be only ffmpeg
related. mplayer shows same artifacts as well as ffplay (which shows gray
instead of green).  There are some warnings when I play the video file that I
have such as:

	video discontinuity #2, type is 3, disc_off 102534671610
	ffmpeg_video_dec: error decompressing frame
	[wmv2 @ 0x413d8b64]J-type picture is not supported

Regards;