List:       xine-devel
Subject:    Re: [xine-devel] Re: Try to call some code when a new frame is decoded
From:       Michael Roitzsch <mroi () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2005-05-23 15:17:55

Hi,

> I play with the none video output and add a call to one function.
> It's work but the vo_frame_t doesn't contain the frame number, so I just
> increase the value of a variable, but I seem that some frame a skipped, so
> isn't presice.

If decoding is too slow, the decoder will be advised by metronom to skip
frames. A post plugin could indeed prevent that.

> I think to write a post plugin but I can't write some code
> that succefully use a post plugin (I just call xine_post_init).

You have to create some regular output port and pass this to xine_post_init().
The post plugin structure will give you the input ports of the post plugin,
which you pass on to xine_stream_new(). You basically create the processing
chain from right (output) to left (stream).

> But I think It could be a better things if xine_new_framegrab_video_port
> and xine_get_next_video_frame method can stay sync with audio or can be set
> to stay sync with audio, some people (me :)) can easily write players that
> perform special change on frame without play with xine-internal.

From an engine developer's standpoint, I don't think this is a good idea,
because it will additional clutter to the already complex video and audio
output loops. If you want an in-sync per-frame callback, a callback output
plugin seems to be the best solution. A post plugin to prevent frame skipping
could complement this.

Michael

--
die_if_kernel("Whee... Hello Mr. Penguin", current->tss.kregs);
	2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/arch/sparc/kernel/traps.c