List:       xine-devel
Subject:    Re: [xine-devel] Re: [xine-cvs] CVS: xine-lib configure.ac,1.186,1.187
From:       Siggi Langauf <siggi () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2003-11-03 14:02:52

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Michael Roitzsch wrote:

> > (removing all those CCs as we're all subscribed to xine-devel...)
>
> Maybe not everyone followed this thread. Sorry if I caused
> inconvenience.

Not really, I was just finding the CC list a bit ridiculous ;-)

[...]
> > Right now, I don't see any advantage in using external
> > libcdio/libvcdinfo for the large majority of users who's _not_
> > knowing what they're doing. Those who _do_ know that they're doing
> > can safely be identified by the ability to specify
> > --with-external-vcdlibs (or whatever switch/switches configure is
> > finally going to supply).
> >
> > Guess that's all I can say about the topic.
>
> As I said, my patch was not meant to end any discussions. I just fixed a
> bug in configure. If people do not like the fix and there is a majority
> favoring a different solution, I cannot stop you from changing the cvs
> again.

That's okay. Unless there's some substancial[1] argument against using
internal libs per default, I'm going to set the default back to using
internal libs. At the same time, it's probably a good idea to note a TODO
item that this should change as soon as common distributions ship with
stable versions oflibcdio and libvcdinfo. (The ultimate goal is, of
course, eliminating those internal copies as soon as it's feasible.)

Cheers,
	Siggi

[1] "substantial" meaning that it outweighs the trouble that may be caused
    by building xine-lib with and running without those libs...