List:       xine-devel
Subject:    Re: [xine-devel] Re: [xine-cvs] CVS: xine-lib configure.ac,1.186,1.187
From:       Michael Roitzsch <mroi () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2003-11-02 19:35:00

CC'ing Siggi and Manfred, the package gurus,

Hi Daniel,

> 	Well, maybe i wasn't clear enough. I'm not afraid by one of us, who
> have or not those libs installed, i think about package. IF the
> packager have those libs installed, shipped plugin will never works
> on every systems, or even crash if the version is older, API
> incompatible. Do you get my point now ?

I see. Well, with a decent package system, such a package would simply
not install in the first place and people would bug the package
maintainer in that case.

> 	So, spec file(s), debian package mechanism SHOULD specify to build
> internal copies.

I guess that's their decision. My packages will use the internal libs,
since I do not have the external ones.

For our packagers who might not have followed the whole thread:
Since Rocky promised to take care of correct versioning, xine-lib
currently uses external versions of vcd libraries (libcdio, libvcd and
libvcdinfo) by default, if they are available and sufficiently new.
It is now your decision, wether to rely on these external versions and
have an additional dependency or use internal versions, which can be
forced with --with-internal-vcdlibs.

Michael

--
/* Host controller interrupts must not be running while calling this
 * function or the penguins will get angry. */